VIMA MUSIC AWARDS 2016 is pleased to announce the first of our 2 recipients for the VIMA Awakening Award 2016.
Congratulations to Sam Systematic Seelan!
This is an award that is very close to our hearts as it recognizes musicians who go out of their way to contribute or make a difference in society or the community that they come from.
He joins other famous names who have been honoured with the same recognition in the past such as Melissa Indot, Altimet, Rithan and Lady Kash & Krissy (Singapore).
Sam’s PARADISE Street Project to help the homeless, is something that not everyone would venture into. It meant rolling up his sleeves and walking the talk. His idea was to rally close friends and family to help with food distribution to the homeless.
In his effort to help, he also documented some of the footage into Facebook videos to create a wider pool of awareness.Also he took it one step further by writing a song PARADISE and submitted it to VIMA which garnered 2 VIMA nominations
In his own words:
“The project is called ‘ PARADISE ” to the streets.
Homeless and people disconnected from their family members.
This is what i had in my mind, when i wrote PARADISE.
The song is about the people who end up in the street , not because they want it , but mostly, due to their circumstances.
All i want to highlight is , it may not be their mistake for ending up in the streets.
1. We should stop being judgmental when we see any homeless and beggars in the streets . Because most of us are.
We at times, tend to ignore or pretend whenever there is a homeless person sitting nearby.
2. Give some. At least the loose change we carry in our pockets. We don’t necessarily have to give money. We also can just sit and have a chat with them. Share a cigarette ( optional) and you can offer to get a meal for him/her. I have spoken to many homeless people lately. It’s a very interesting the stories they shared with me . Mostly about , what was their profession and lifestyle. Some even, admit, they were solely responsible for their actions. Such as, gambling / alcohol / overspending / job security,family issues and etc .
3. For this project, i managed to get my fellow musicians to be part of it as well. I have collected a decent sum from my fellow musicians , friends & relatives. This amount will be handed to over to an NGO . The NGO will be using this fund for the monthly food distribution to the homeless and people on the streets around KL .
4. This will be an on-going project which i will be involved with personally.
5. The idea behind this project is to create an awareness about , how serious homelessness is. How we can prevent from someone ( Our father/ Mother/ Brother or sister or friend ) from being homeless.
To share what we have extra to those who may need it more than us.
6. For me , making music has to be something that is very relevant with a positive impact. Even, when i was with Beat The System , the title track ” PENIPUAN BERWARIS’ ( Best Tip Off Song from South East Asia) & ” SHINE” ( Song Of The Year & Best collaboration Award) were positively driven songs.
Hence, i want to keep doing music that speaks to our society and people.
7. I invite everyone to watch a few videos of homeless people which i made during my meeting session with them.I have posted it up onto my Facebook. These are real people who have lost their homes , family , friends and some even all. They agreed to have their stories shared with the rest of the world. Please feel free to watch it.
8. There will be a continuation to PARADISE . I am in the middle of putting together ideas for another song. I look forward to views and ideas from the public if you would like to be part of it too.
1st Video about Mr Raman, a guy who was abandon by his family.
2nd & 3rd Video about Mr Micheal. A diabetes patience and currently living in the streets.
4th Video is about this person who lives on the streets because he choose to do so. He says, he rather prefer to live in the streets because of the trust he lost towards his family. Yet, until now no one comes to look for him.